Tuesday, February 26, 2019

{Post 1,626} Black and White Crossing


That is not the name of this “pattern”, just a description of its layout. I made some blocks with black center lines this AM. The nice thing about using these strings is that they are such fast blocks, they can be sewn semi-mindlessly, and one gets something beautiful while using up what seems like worthless pieces of shirts. Lots of cuffs and collar strips going into these. I set up my work area for the first time so that a TV tray with an ironing blanket is on it to my left, my string bin and trash can are to the right. The only reason I need to get up is to cut out more foundations. Here is a small peek at my progress from this AM. The repetitive fabrics will be spread out once I get more blocks made. That orange plaid!!


These are 6-1/2” foundations. If I pull out a piece from my scrap box that is too small to use, I iron it and put it aside in piles of similar-sized scraps. That way when I get to the edge of a block, I use up the smaller pieces. I am also piecing the strips of colors and creams. Now I’m starting to use up some of the crumbs for yet another scrappy shirt quilt down the road. Crumbs and strings are NOT the same thing. Think of crumbs as chunks. 

I make slow progress on them ALL, but progress is progress. This is just a break in the path of my Moth in the Window quilt. The overload of scraps distracts me from my goal. Once my scrap box is down a bit, I will cut out the 15 shirts I have that are as-yet washed but uncut.  Then I will have more strings and crumbs. 

No comments: