Monday, February 25, 2019

{Post 1,625} New Project(s)


I started to cut out some more Moth blocks tonight, but was struck with the large amount of shirt strings I have amassed. I have separated them into colors and lights as I have cut a few projects.



I decided to start not one, but TWO new projects from the strings to reduce my stash of them before they take over the sewing room. Both original designs, sort of...

The first one is a 1-1/2” strip of muslin through the center of a 6-1/2” foundation. That makes a design like this if set into 4-block “squares on point”. I am toying with the idea of setting all the muslin strips one direction, and another color or colors the other (I have a number of solid pastel shirts that I bought for another shirt project, and this would be a good way to use up some of them—solid black is also an idea I’m playing with).


This is the waste after trimming down one block:



The second design is also foundation-pieced strings (these do not always go straight...sometimes an angle adds interest and uses up those back yoke pieces). The dark strip finishes at 3” wide, and the light ones at 4-1/4”. I am thinking this would be an excellent baby quilt...even gender neutral. We have a friend expecting in a few months. The adding machine paper pictured is the foundation for the dark strings, and old telephone books cut down were the source of the squares and the 4-1/4” blocks as well. No wasted chunks of paper either!



I removed all the papers from all the backs tonight, so I am completely caught up.

Today has been a dentist visit (hi, Debbie) and much cleaning. Also thrown in was spending the afternoon with my grandson, of course.




1 comment:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Both look like great projects. Your lights on that adding machine tape are so pretty. And to think I gave away my adding machine tape to a preschool oh so many years ago!