Tuesday, May 21, 2019

{Post 1,667} I’m A Starter


Why is STARTING a new quilt so much more appealing to me than applying that time to a UFO or WIP??

I have started 3 new projects this WEEK so far! Someone stop me!!

I added a few more blocks to my Geese on a String. There are 24 in each row in the pattern. Here is a little over half of a row (13) for starters. In the picture, on the right side, there are two groups of 3 with orange side triangles that are sewn together (I have not trimmed down the sides yet, so that is why they look off). They are at the very bottom of the row.


I with I had gotten more muted blue and orange. Here is the rug I am aiming to match or at least complement.



One of my husband’s coworkers asked me to make a baby quilt for her to gift to another coworker. The 9-patches are just laid on the background fabric. This is what she chose.


Denim blue squares on a light gray background.

The answer to my own question just came to me. As I’m cutting up shirts,  I use the largest chunks for the HST quilt I am making for the living room (the room with THE rug). Then I cut the leftovers into strips of varying widths for these blocks.


The Geese blocks use up shorter strips. Then what is left can be cut into 1-inch squares for the 4-patches that go in the Geese quilt. Question answered!!




5 comments:

grammilou said...

Joan, do you know any quilters who don't have trouble finishing projects? I think we all just love to get into a new project more than finishing one already started. One of my quilting friends has this rule for herself: Every quilt in process must be worked on at least once each month. I alternate between trying to finish up several older projects and then seem to revert to starting three or four new ones.

~Joan said...

Maybe I have a future as president of QA (quilter’s anonymous). We can quit name badges and everything!! I blame my problem on upcycling shirts. All different sized pieces that have to go in many different quilts!! (Wink, wink...help me out here!)

~Joan said...

Quilt badges, not quit!!

blj said...

I like the new bold quilt colors with the rug. It's going to look great.

Ruth said...

This weekend I went from one project to another. I can't seem to stick with one thing for very long. Among others, a string project (spider web), a flag with curved stripes, a sawtooth star table runner. Help!! I need to make a backing for a queen size quilt so I can get it quilted by my July guild meeting (challenge to get finished), Somehow, I put that project off in order to start others.