Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bonnie ~ Twin Sister



Bonnie at Quiltville had a post about a new scrap block she had published in the latest edition of Quiltmaker. When I was in the big city (Gastonia) this past Wednesday night, I stopped in Hobby Lobby to get a copy of the magazine (yes--I'm that big of a Bonnie fan).

Here are the first blocks I made from this pattern...



Then I did the unthinkable and added in some non-Thimbleberries...the third block down, third block in below was some samples I bought for a potential bed quilt that I ended up rejecting. Then I got my plaid and stripe bin out and cut a few pieces from that.

The picture is not as vivid as the blocks are in person, but you get the idea. This might be too much even for me. So busy, busy, busy.

My design wall is behind my computer right now. I kept staring at the blocks, wondering if there was hope for them. I rearranged some of them so that all the lighter of the blades was on top and bottom. This is what they look like now. I think that makes it better. Opinions?

I did something even I have never done for some of these blocks. See the last full row, the block on the farthest right? The cream is from scraps from this quilt. When I trimmed down my rectangle of cream strips for the center of Family Pride, I had a 5" wide piece left over. When I was cutting for the Twin Sister blocks, I saw that chunk and thought, "Why not?" So some of the cream "blades" are actually pieced as well. Waste not, want not.



~Joan

4 comments:

Amy said...

I think I liked the first layout better. It just seemed scrappier to me.

Myra said...

Hi there! Just popped in for a visit! Oh buy my you've got some lovely creations happening there! Very nice! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Chris the Quilter said...

the blocks are looking great, even the pieced one!!

Unknown said...

You asked for comments on the blade-color layout, & I do think the 2nd layout looks better. (All the light blades the same way.)

I like the pieced pieces in your last picture. Cute! I've done that a few times out of necessity.

-- Elizabeth