Friday, October 28, 2011

{Post #839} More Asheville Quilt Show Quilts

I have felt "under the weather" most of this week, so I don't have a lot of my own projects to show.  Some day I will figure out how to do a slide show instead of uploading pictures individually.  Here are a few quilts from the Asheville show my husband and I attended recently...

This first one was appliqued and quilted by hand.  I really enjoy doing and seeing hand work.


I have made several "kaleidoscope" type quilts.  The on-point squares of this quilt are that type application of the paisley print in the border.





Not really crazy about bowtie quilts, but the hand quilting on this was neat.  Does anyone know what type and size of needle is recommended for this "big stitch" quilting?  I will share another one done in this fashion later that was so cool.



~Joan

3 comments:

Me and My Stitches said...

Hope you are feeling better! Love all of the quilts. I haven't done the big stitch - this one looks like it's done really well - nice and even stitches.

momtofatdogs said...

I have a paperback "book" by Jo Walters for BIG STITCH quilting & it says to use #6 or #7 quilting betweens and to use #8 DMC brand cotton perle thread. It says that the stitches are approximately 3/16" long on TOP & about 4 to the inch (again on top.Other than those specific instructions, the pamphlet has design ideas & not much else! I took a class with her a long LONG time ago at a fabric shop in Trussville AL - I remember the backside of the big stitch quilting to look like dots. Not like the stitches on the top/front.

Hope that helps

Sam

Elaine Adair said...

Goodness - some very pretty quilts, but I have to say, I DO Like that orange utility quilting on the Bow Tie! Kinda surprised myself.