Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Woman Who Started My String Quilt


This is the woman who pieced the blocks for my string quilt. Her name was Emma Rachel Currence, and she lived 1882-1929. My husband's uncle does a lot of historical research on his family, and he emailed me quite a bit of information about her. That gives my string quilt even more sentimental value for me. My husband inherited her dark brown eyes. Thank you, Emma!

~Joan

PS: Since I was born in 1962, she is *only* 80 years older than me. Seems like 1882 was a lot longer ago than that :)

3 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

How great to have a face to go with the quilt. Joan's stitches combined with Emma's. What a treasure!

canquilt said...

Wow, most of us don't even own antique quilts let alone know something about the person who made it. That is really cool!

Libby said...

Isn't it amazing how much more connected you feel with each bit of information. Should be a good reminder to all of us to document our quilts (and I am one of the worst offenders when it comes to skipping that step*s*)