Thursday, May 27, 2021

{Post 1,752} Review of Quilt Bullet Journal

 

I have relayed several times how much I am enjoying my bullet journal. I make it a point to write in it every night, recording any sewing or prep for sewing (fabric selection, cutting for current project, pressing, trimming, etc.). I keep it simple, which is why I can keep up with it. Tonight I was thinking that a lot of the items that were UFOs are gone from my house. I was curious to tally up what I’ve completed this year. Some projects were fresh starts, so if I have the center done (waiting for borders), I consider that a lot. Most of my quilts are at least twin size. Many are queen-sized.

Buckle in. Here’s my list:

Quilts started from scratch AND already finished and delivered ~ 7

Quilts that were pieced when I started the journal that are completely finished ~ 5

Quilts whose centers are pieced...borders not on ~ 3

Antique quilts that need to be checked for repair needs and then quilted ~ 5

Customer quilts machine quilted ~ 17 (this surprised me)

Tops of mine that are ready to quilt ~ 9

Quilts that need bound ~ 4 (all are seasonal pillows)

Quilts that are in miscellaneous levels of completion but are not tops yet ~ 10

I finished the top and back of my next wedding gift quilt today. I am soooo happy with how they turned out. I rarely (OK I don’t ever remember doing this) make sample blocks for my quilts. I usually cut and make about half of one, then cut the remaining units once I see what colors I should add or not use any more of (I nearly always make scrappy quilts). For some reason, I cut 6 extra Friendship star blocks for the wedding quilt. I decided to use two different creams for the back with the stars in a row between them. I had to make 3 more blocks and add a little strip of muslin to make it wide enough. I wrote right on the muslin for a label so I wouldn’t have to add one later. Here are the blocks on my design wall.

I did two hours’ total of yard work today. About 45 minutes in the AM and then 75 minutes in the evening. I also did a small paint job that has been put off again and again. So my sewing time was interrupted off and on. I didn’t get a pic of the whole quilt top once it was finished. I sew a 1/8” line around the edge of it has lots of seams, and this sure did!

Here is a small part of the back and some of the top as they hang on my quilt frame (so they don’t have to be pressed again tomorrow).


The colors in this quilt are refreshing. Not too bold, but enough color to make themselves known.

My FIL is coming tomorrow to stay overnight, then he and hubby are taking a trip to Jamestown, VA to do some sight seeing. Undoubtedly, I’ll stay up way too late as I always do when I’m here alone.

Have a great night!





1 comment:

Ruth said...

You have accomplished a lot in just 5 months! I'm pretty sure I couldn't keep up with you. I have a journal for quilting but don't write in it very faithfully. Sometimes I draw a block idea in it or what color embroidery thread I will use in a project. We are going on a trip and I have some Peter Rabbit blocks to embroider for a baby quilt that I will work on in the car.