Friday, November 20, 2020

{Post 1,735} Gifted Quilt

 

Back in September I took 18 intact shirts with me to south GA. I started this quilt then gifted it about a month ago.


It has been well-loved and appreciated.

At that same time I started some rail fence blocks with the little bits that are from the inside of the collars and cuffs. Shortly thereafter I framed squares with 1-1/2” strips of lighter shirts and used the rail fence blocks as alternates. I gifted that to a family I am close to from my church. Here are a few pics of that.




I talk to my friend (the mom) often. She told me yesterday that they all snuggle with it daily. I loved hearing that. Little guy (in third picture) thinks it is all his, LOL!!

I am nearly finished with the third quilt mainly from those same shirts, with LOTS of neutral shirts thrown in. I was showing the two different layouts on Facebook. One of my high school friends (graduated 40 years ago....how is that possible?) asked if she could buy it. I am half-finished with the quilting. Going to cut binding strips after I finish here so that I can put that on right away. 



She opted for the top setting. This will finish at 70” square. No borders. My first low-volume quilt.

While I’ve been piecing all of these, I am sewing my 2-1/2” square scraps into these. I call them 2 + 4 = 6 blocks. Again using you a lot of neutrals for a place for the eye to rest. I am calling this Plaid Lightning, LOL!! I left some space around the labels in the yoke when I cut them out, so I incorporated a few of those into the quilt. It gives one something to read while snuggling!





I would love to hear a little something from each of you. I didn’t think the isolation of quarantining would get to me because I love being alone, but it is lonely. We aren’t staying away from EVERYONE, but almost!











4 comments:

Melinda said...

I LOVE all of these quilts. I can't decide which I like most. I am also working on a "shirt" quilt now. I just love how soft and comfy the fabrics already are.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful finishes and I love that you gift them. They will continue giving every time they are used.

Unknown said...

Well sadly, no quarantine here, just work work work! But I am thankful to have 2 jobs. So glad you're getting so much done with all of those beautiful shirts. I really like the lightening top and may have to try that with some of my 2" squares. Happy holidays to you and your family. Remember to buy your ingredients for holiday baking and cooking early!

Elaine Adair said...

I'm reading your blog at end of May, 2021, slobbering over all the your wonderful quilts, wanting to see everything you make. Thank you for all the pleasures. Time keeps getting away from me!