Tuesday, September 24, 2019

{Post 1,688} I Love It, Part 2


{Click on any picture to enlarge it}. So here we are with dad’s wide poplar. It was still rough, which means it did not look like you see it at Lowe’s. Dad has a custom-built-by-him wood shop that is super simple, but deluxe. He has a power sander, planer, and a huge cutting table (I saw many correlations to my quilting space.).


Basically, it was planed several times (taking off 1/32” at a time), sanded multiple times, cut to length (4” longer than final size), glued to a less wide piece that had gone through the same process, planed and sanded again, then ends cut square and a one-inch piece glued under on 3 sides. Then it was routed on the edges to make them rounded over, then sanded again. Then it was finished. Here are some pics of the process w/o words.





Blogger keeps getting my pictures out of order. Help!! Here is the finished product at my parents’ house. I need to stain and seal it when I get home.




No comments: