Tuesday, July 17, 2012

{Post 1,011} Simpler Maple Leaves

This post will have one picture.  I was asked by several ladies to explain how I simplified the maple leaf quilt blocks in my last post.  My block finished at 3-1/2" square.  Here is a crude drawing I made to help show the difference.  The top half of the picture is what I was told to sew.  I did three blocks that way and was frustrated because of the many lumpy seams.  I nearly stopped working on the project altogether.  If you look at my picture, they were the three brown blocks.  The bottom half of the picture is what I ended up doing!



Each of the 3 rows in the block had 3 squares originally.  All orientations are from left to right.  


The top row from left to right are:


HST, HST, cream square


Middle row is:  


colored square, colored square, HST


Bottom row is:


Stem, colored square, HST

My "squares" (set 3 x 3) all started as 1-1/2" (unfinished size).  For the top row, I had to piece the 2 HSTs.  For the middle row, instead of sewing two squares to a HST, I just used the flip and sew method of making a HST but instead of making a HST I measured the correct length of the whole unit with a cream triangle at the end.  For the bottom row, I shortened the length because the stem unit was on the far left.


Hmmm...I am nearly confused myself.  I will just give you the measurements I used and can answer any questions you may have.  I cut a 1-1/2" x 9" cream strip.  I cut it into six 1-1/2" squares.  I also cut a 1-1/2" x 9" colored strip.  That I cut into a 3-1/2" piece, a 2-1/2" piece, and two 1-1/2" squares.


If you are using rickrack (which is easy AND so cute), lay that down the center of as many stem units as you will need.  Sew them down the center with matching thread.  I found it easier to just sew them all on at once then snip them apart.  


These are instructions for one block.  Sew the two 1-1/2" colored squares and two 1-1/2" cream squares together (one of each color) on the diagonal.  Trim 1/4" away from the seam and press open.  For the center row, add a cream square to the 3-1/2" colored piece, sewing diagonally, then trim and press open.  Be careful that you sew it the right direction.  You want the cream triangle to be on the right end, on the bottom corner.  Repeat with the 2-1/2" colored strip and another 1-1/2" cream square for the bottom row, having the cream triangle in the same orientation.  


Add the stem to the solid end of the 2-1/2" unit.  Sew the two HSTs together for the top row with the cream in the top left corner and a solid 1-1/2" cream on the right end.  


This truly is easier, creating less bulk because of having fewer seams.  Once you do one, you will see.  Please feel free to ask any questions.  If I were constructing another, I'd take pictures.


~Joan









No comments: