Thursday, February 17, 2011

This Mother's Heart Update


I added a few more blocks last night with different colors and "backgrounds". 

Here's a funny story for you.  If you read my blog because you're a quilter, you will chuckle with me.  If you don't quilt, you probably are thinking like my young friend.

There is a young lady (I think she is 20) that our family picks up for nearly every church service (two on Sunday and one on Wednesday night).  She and I are good friends.  In fact, she said the other day that if she was getting married, I would be her maid of honor.  Slightly strange to most people's thinking, but we are buds.

I was hand piecing some of the blocks for this quilt last night as I sat in our vehicle and waited for all the kids to arrive from their various locations at church for the ride home.  My friend was the first to arrive, and we were enjoying some chit chat as we caught up with each other from the past few days.  She asked me what I was doing (in all our times together, and there have been many, I don't think she's ever seen me sew, which seems strange now that I think about it).  I explained that I was hand appliqueing the end sections on the triangles.  I pulled out my iPod and showed her a picture of how the blocks looked set together (like in the above picture).  She said with all seriousness..."I have no idea how doing that could bring pleasure to a person.  I mean, what is the POINT?"  I actually sat there speechless for several minutes.  Then I felt sorry for her.  She lives with her brothers and father and has never had the example of a woman making something with her hands.  She has never experienced the pride of a hand-sewn garment or other object that brought beauty and joy to her life.  Poor girl.  Do you agree or disagree? 

~Joan

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Yes! I agree. So many girls nowadays don't even know how to sew on a button and I think it is a shame. I have a good friend who never cooks, or sews (except to sew on a button). She goes to quilt shows with me and says she envies people who have a hobby they love. After knowing her for at least 20 years, she shocked me one day by saying that she earned a college scholarship in home economics! However, she got so homesick that she dropped out and went to secretarial school instead. Her mother left the home when she was young and she and her father ate in restaurants all the time. She loves my tuna cassarole and has tried to make it, but it didn't turn out. She wants me to show her how I do it. Sad.

Leeanne said...

yes I feel sad for her too, like she is missing out on something so wonderfully soulful. I can't ever imagine not making something.

momtofatdogs said...

Agree. If she had something that was made by someone she would cherish it - if she made it herself - she'd cherish it. I can not imagine my life without anything I hade "made".

Sam

Lourdes said...

What a beautiful quilt!!! Can you please share where to find the pattern?
Thanks,
Lou
lourdesfay at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

Agree - too many girls are growing up these days (and in the last generation or two as well) without any knowledge of the home arts. Not everyone needs to be a master seamstress or gourmet cook, but it's just wrong for a girl to never learn the basics. Thanks to my (too-many!) hand-working hobbies, I don't have to EVER be bored unless I'm too sick to do anything but just sit there! I love looking around my home at things I've made, and knowing that *I* made them!