Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Flannel Fat Quarter Squares


I had not posted much on my Fat Quarter Squares quilt. I bought a kit for it so long ago that I didn't even remember WHEN let alone from WHOM. It pieced up fairly quickly. I alternated the direction of the seams so that I only had to match where four blocks met. Easy peasy sewing. I got it back a few days ago, quilted by my friend, Sam. I told her to surprise me with the thread and quilting pattern. I am so pleased.

I don't like my quilts heavily quilted. I like them to be quilted uniformly, but remain soft. This also has a flannel backing, so it's fairly heavy. Each block finishes at 9" square, so it is about 63" x 81". Nice couch throw size.


I tried to get a picture of the quilting, but it was not easy. Here is the best I could do...

Here is Susanna venturing out to replenish the bird feeder. Steve and Emily got me the feeder for my birthday in August. I hung it on a hanging basket hook. The pesky squirrels kept climbing the hook post and getting on the feeder, not only eating the seeds, but managing to scare all the birds away in the process.

Emily took one look at the problem and went out to fix it. Haven't had a squirrel get any seeds yet, but it's fun to watch them try. She cut a slit in a paint bucket (it holds about 6 cups) then taped it upside down on the pole. It's not beautiful, but it is 100% squirrel proof.

Have a safe and sewing day,
~Joan





2 comments:

Teresa said...

Cute picture. I like your quilt and the snowball one in the prior post. Thanks for sharing.

momtofatdogs said...

Quilt turned out nice! Squirrel proof! I like that idea. "Not beautiful" or not, I may borrow your idea, as that is the only reason I don't keep the feeders full. We have big fat squirrels in our yard. though they stay OUT fo the dog pen, one of my dogs has become very good at catching them. She just mauls them and brings them to the gate for me. I'm flattered by it (not!) and she's just doing her job, but she can't get to the ones that are stealing the bird food.

Sam