Thursday, May 29, 2008

What's for Supper? Crow!!

I debated about whether to post this. I would not offend our friends for the world. This is such a funny story, that I just had to share it. I don't think our friends even have internet access at their house, or know I have a blog.

It had already been a weird day. I had only been home from the boys' violin lessons a short time. Our whole day was already "off". Several of the ten of us did not eat "lunch" until 4:30 or 5:00 PM. We usually have supper (the evening meal) around 6 or so.

My Susanna wanted to cut and start piecing a table runner to sell to earn a few extra dollars. She only wanted to work on it with me present. You know how little I've sewn in the past few months. We were down in the basement sewing room together. I had just sent a messenger around to tell the children we'd be having must-go for supper. You know, you look in the frig and say "this must-go" and "that must-go". Then I had a little messenger of my own and realized what I'd be having--CROW!One of my sons yelled down the steps, "The _____s are here! They just pulled in the driveway!" In the next fraction of a second, I vaguely recall my WH telling me this past Sunday that this couple was coming over for supper...TONIGHT! Very vaguely. Like I could fit it into my memory, but barely remember the actual occurrence. My next concrete thought was "What will I serve them for supper?" My third was "Where can I hide for the next several hours?" Milliseconds later, Mr. ______ walks into my sewing room, eliciting an "Oh, hi!" from me.

While the little ones ran interference by visiting with the company in the living room, Emily and I quickly whipped up what I thought was a decent meal--Chicken Tetrazzini (we had planned to let everyone heat up individual servings as must-go, but instead heated up the whole thing and transferred it to a clean serving dish), green beans, freshly made whole wheat bread that Emily happened to make late this afternoon (we grind the flour ourselves), tossed salad with cucumbers and broccoli, and th-th-th-that's all, folks! As we are sitting down, Mr. ______ says, "We'll just have water. I forgot to tell my wife we were coming, and we ate before we came!" I didn't want to add to his embarrassment, so we all just sat down as if we hadn't eaten half an hour before. We were all smiling very large smiles. I think they thought we were just really cheerful (and not very hungry, as we all took miniscule portions).

A funny but true story!

~Joan

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

LOL! That is so funny! Communication is the key. *s*

Anonymous said...

What a hoot!! I'm glad we didn't have to add to your 'meal panic'. Although, if we had showed up that night as well we probably could have eaten until we were full since none of you were hungry! LOL
We always said you guys are light eaters :)

Love,
Cindy

So glad to hear about the family moving down south. Good, like-minded friends are an amazing blessing!

Kairle Oaks said...

What a hoot, Joan! Good save on your part!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Talk about "cool under pressure." You should have been a battleship commander.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh my! Funny!

Teresa said...

Ny first visit to your blog and what interesting reading. Love the story about the company, and your Flags AFlutter. Your shopping savings is simply amazing.

Saar said...

Hi Joan, Just found your blog thanks to Kairle from Happy Valley Quilting. I don't have a blog yet but enjoy reading others especially those of my sisters in Christ. Loved your story about unexpected guests. Well done for getting up at 5.30 and training your body and your mind. Keep it up.
Regards
Sarah (Christchurch NZ) where it is very frosty this morning.