Monday, January 28, 2008

A Post Without A Picture is Like a Day Without Sunshine


Above is my new macaroni and cheese recipe. Why is this noteworthy, you might be asking yourself? I LOVE mac & cheese. I've hardly met one that I didn't like. Well, mac & cheese was on the menu tonight. DD2 was cooking. When she had just enough time to make it, she told me the recipe was NOT in our recipe box. I looked on allrecipes.com for a new one. Who puts stewed tomatoes in their mac & cheese? Or drained tuna? Come on! All I want is "mac" and "cheese". In a moment of complete desperation I called my sister. Several years ago I gave my BIL a recipe box filled with my recipes, and I thought it might have been one of those. No such luck. But she did give me the above recipe. If I ever find my original recipe, it will be trashed. This was PERFECT. In case you can't read it in the picture, here it is...

2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked & drained (measure before cooking)
4 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 oz. Velveeta

Cook pasta in boiling water. Meanwhile in a saucepan, melt butter, whisk in salt, pepper, and flour. Whisk constantly over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Add milk and whisk constantly until mixture is thick. Take off heat and add cheeses. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and mix well. Transfer to serving bowl. No baking needed!!

Write this one down for those children and grandchildren in your life. You'll be thanking me! It's so creamy.

Our family has to double the recipe, of course.

I realized the other day that I have severely limited my blog to quilting. There's lots more in my life than just that. As time goes on, I will be sharing some of those other facets.

For now, I'll leave you with the mac & cheese. I almost posted without a picture, but as the title says, a post w/o a picture...

~Joan

2 comments:

Purple Pam said...

Thanks for the mac 'n' cheese recipe. That is one of my favorite dishes. When the kids were home, we ate a lot of it because that was one thing everyone liked.

QuiltingFitzy said...

My dh makes it frequently, I just love it too. (Especially the really cooked bits at the side!)

Try putting a dash or two of cayenne pepper in, it doesn't make it "hot", just really picks up the flavor a notch.

At our house, it MUST be served with smokey links! 8^)