My Fair & Square quilt is coming along. What a difference a little solid black makes! The top picture is a few blocks and a couple string-pieced alternate blocks. I did a little searching and found the solid black I had purchased (a year ago?) for this. I sashed 4 blocks, and voila!
You can see that I am using my outer border blocks as the leader/enders for my string-piecing blocks.
I was in a tight plaid spot. I even wrote to my b-friend, Julie, about it. Julie loves plaids. I needed her advice.
Years ago (many, many years ago) I purchased a kit on eBay that was all plaids. Much to my chagrin, most of them were homespuns, not tightly woven plaids. I hated to pitch them, but it looked like that might be a possibility. I spent a few minutes here and there the last week cutting them up. I used a few for the 1-1/2" strips for the blocks surrounding the red squares in this quilt. I cut some 2" strips for the outer border. Then I cut up all the rest of it for the string-pieced blocks. All of my homespuns are gone (used in this quilt). I tried to border most of them with muslin or more tightly-woven fabric so they would not stretch. That way they were in every unit of the quilt, but not all together to make them weak or stretchy. We'll see how that works out.
Today is one of the few times I've had to sew this week. It was good to see a little progress on this quilt.
Sew many quilts to make and sew little time!