This is my new hexagon project (handwork for traveling and waiting places). I wasn't going to start one of these, but I like the handwork for keeping busy on the road. We've been traveling a lot lately, but it does come in spurts.
I saw a hexagon project lately where some of the blossoms were fussy cut. I don't have a lot of fabrics with which I can do that, but there are a few. So I am embarking on a queen-sized hand made (cut, sewn, quilted) quilt so I can sleep under it a few times before my kids put me in a nursing home. Thinking l-o-n-g term here!
Yesterday the mailman brought me the little diamond pieces. Whew--they are tiny. When I first saw them, I assumed they were the wrong size, but no--perfect fit! They are one-inch long on one side. The hexagons are also one-inch long per side.
My plan for now is to sew a blossom all the way out to the cream ring then join it to the mother ship. We'll see how that goes.
In the picture, the green diamonds are not sewn onto the blossom. I just wanted to show how it would look (sorta) when they would be. I am making the greens scrappy.
Friday, May 17, 2013
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Here are some pictures from this past Sunday, Mother's Day. Rachel (15) gave me the idea of having a lady in our church who is a photographer take some family pictures. This is the first time we have all been together in nearly a year.
My oldest son is driving to Arizona as I type. Next is a daughter who lives in Wisconsin. Her next younger sister (the mother of my grandson) lives in Florida. Next just moved over an hour away. Next lives in northwest Georgia. Only 3 kids at home. A very good idea to take some pictures. Yes, yes it was.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Here are four of the 25 Shooting Stars blocks together. I think as I see more of it, I will like it more. The wheels are already turning about how to quilt this!
This measures 29-1/2" square so far.
I am finished with the stars for the 25 centers of the Shooting Star blocks all made from shirts, thanks to Julie's donation of two new black shirts.
Here are all the blocks on the wall:
Here is a close-up of one of the new ones (notice my new black shirt background...dark gray flowers on black):
Here are the 3 new ones with the pinwheels made from each pinned to the center....gives me all kinds of new ideas for what to do with those pinwheels!!
I started doing something new a while ago that has really helped my old brain. I'm putting it out there in case it helps you as well. I have a cheap stenographic notebook that I'm keeping on my cutting table. I make all kinds of sloppy notes in it...how long to cut a border, how many units I need to cut of this or that, how many finished units I have for this quilt, how large a runner for my foyer table should be, etc. etc. It has saved my sanity more than once. All that to say that I am keeping track of how many side border pieces for these blocks I need to cut yet. I have 36/50 of the one-pieced side borders (that measure 9" x 3-1/2") and only 25 or the 100 I need for the other side (each side is two 7-3/4" x 3-1/2" sewed end to end). I am up to the challenge, and glad my notebook is keeping me straight.
Since I made up the sizes for this quilt, I'm glad I wrote it all down. Keeps me from sacrificing some of my shirts because of cutting errors.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
This past week has been a whirlwind of activity. Now I am getting the house back to normal as well as catching up with our laundry, etc.
This AM I sewed a few more blocks for each of the quilts I'm currently piecing.