Friday, April 19, 2013
I know many of you have been reading my blog for years. You know I have 8 children, 4 of which are girls. It may come as a surprise to you that this is something I've never done before. I turned a pair of jeans into a skirt. Yes, yes I did.
Here are the pictures. I was just winging it. Naturally I learned some things to make it easier next time. I used the legs from one pair and the top from another because there wasn't enough length to use the same ones. Maybe next time!
The skirt is not hemmed yet. I have several other things going on today and could not get it finished in one sitting. I did cut 2" off the length (from what is pictured) so Rachel would happily wear it. You'll also notice that I changed the skirt from what you see in the second picture down. After the sewing, neither of us liked the overlapped former jeans crotch look (I don't know how else to phrase that). That was the way all the tutorials I saw online were done, but it's easy to make it a straight flat seam.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Finished the machine quilting on my Tree of Life quilt. When I trimmed the backing, I had enough for binding without cutting any more strips. While I was on a roll, I sewed the binding to the front and have one side turned to the back and machine stitched down.
I stopped to make a label. Whew--there's no stopping me today!
Heading back down to sew the label in place so it will be sewn in as I attach the binding.
A picture of the back first. I am surprised this looks so light in the picture. The binding in the second picture is the same fabric.
Monday, April 15, 2013
I learned a new quilting pattern from the Pajama Quilter DVD. It's called Echo Flowers.
This afternoon I pieced a back for my Tree of Life quilt and started the quilting. It has gone so fast. I am nearly finished. Wanted to take a break to watch a movie with the kids, so I'll try to finish it tomorrow. I used a thread called "honey" color on the front and the back. The backing fabric is dark (it looks light in the pictures because of the flash), so it really shows up, but that's OK.
Here are some pictures.
Sunday, April 14, 2013
I decided against the cream cornerstones. They stood out a bit too much, so back into the drawer they went. In the next drawer up, I found a stack of golds. I used them and webbed the top. All the sewing is finished in one direction. I only sewed the top two horizontal rows together before I hit the wall, and here is what I have so far...