Here are 10 WOF 2-1/2" wide binding strips.
They are ready to be sewn end-to-end and ironed in half. That means this is ready for binding!!!!!
This post is dedicated to my dear friend, Mrs. H. She is one of the most positive and cheerful people I have ever known. She is my adopted grandma.
Last year I got an idea of making her a string quilt from my watercolor fabrics. She is an avid flower gardener. I even have some of her grand-plants...ones she started for me from her supply. They are special to me.
There was a period of time where we would visit for 90 minutes or so every Wednesday night. Sadly, it has been months since we've had a good sit-down chat. So yesterday I made a point to spend some time with her. I also got a pic of her with the lap-sized quilt I made for her last year (I had neglected to get a picture when I gave it to her). It's about 60" square. I didn't want her to get tangled up in it or have something too heavy for her to handle.
Finally got the backing pieced for my spool quilt. It's been a long time since I made a quilt this big. OK--now that I think about it, maybe not that long (look here).
The difference is that this one has a row of pieced blocks in it. And I might have forgotten to carry a one, making all 3 rows of the backing 10" too narrow, which meant I had to add an 11" piece to each length of fabric. Maybe.
Here is a picture as I rolled the quilt top onto the frame. This is the back of the quilt.
My b-friends are THE best!! Thanks to my friend, Sam, who I have actually met in person a couple times (once at my house, once at hers), I have the perfect solution to the "I-want-them-to-look-mitered-but-don't-want-to-take-the-time-to-piece-extra-length" border corner. Seriously.
Normally when one miters a border, they make extra length, fold the quilt center at a 45-degree angle (pause for me frantically searching for a degree mark on my keyboard--there ain't one), then mark, sew, and cut the border fabric. Another scrap generator.
Sam suggested (and even emailed me a hand-drawn pattern in PDF) that I paper-piece huge HSTs and put them on. So without further ado, I present: