Friday, May 5, 2017

{Post 1,538} More on Virginia Bound Blocks

I've already shared a couple times that I swapped 15 blocks with Ruth. I don't usually do this, but EVERY time I look at my design wall, this block stood out to me. I often pin a small square of white paper on a stack of blocks to remind me of the count. I kept thinking that was what this was...but it was a very large plaid. I took out the one piece and subbed it with something not so eye-catching. See the difference below? Before...

And after...

I do use a foundation to piece these blocks. The pattern is from Bonnie Hunter's book, Scraps and Shirttails. They go together so quickly.

I was talking to two of my grandchildren on FaceTime last night. Here is Keith asking if I can see his nose! That boy cracks me up.

Thursday, May 4, 2017

{Post 1,537} Virginia Bound Blocks Half Finished!

The Virginia Bound blocks are flying off the sewing machine. Well, it helped that Ruth had sent me 15 as a starter set (we traded a set of 15 a few years back!). But still...the quilt needs 80, and this picture shows 40!! I have enjoyed piecing some of my strings as leader/enders between blocks. Can you spot the pieced strips in the pics below? They are not obvious when viewing the blocks in real size as this IS quite a busy quilt.

I am so addicted to upcycled shirt quilts.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

{Post 1,536} Two New Shirt Quilts Underway

I have two "shirt" quilts underway. Both are from Bonnie Hunter's book, "Scraps and Shirttails". Both were started (sort of) some time ago. Ruth from and I exchanged 15 Virginia Bound blocks years ago. Ruth, do you remember when that was? I found a box of shirt strings in my sewing room. The 15 blocks from her were in the bottom of the box. I made 12 blocks last night (boy, do they fly along!). Here are 25 of them in the arrangement of the quilt.

Our shirts play so nicely together. Eager to make many more of these. The quilt calls for 80 of them. I had already printed the foundations on old phone book pages, so I can get right to it.

The other quilt is called Hand Me Downs. I had about 25 blocks made for that and stopped (are you seeing a pattern?). I came across those in a project box as well, with assorted units already cut. That quilt needs 53 blocks. I need to make 8 more to complete the quilt center, then 9 more for the border. Not sure I'm going to make it that big though. Stay tuned. There is a light plaid in the alternate blocks, which finish at 8" square, same as the Virginia Bound.

There was a lot of light coming in the window to the right of the design walls. I threw away the block with the green points in the 3rd row down. It looks too odd from any distance because of the high contrast between the hourglass center and the points and background. Plenty more spirits to sew up!

I hung this old project on the design wall to select my next 4 fabric pairs. So close to finishing the top. I went on a ladies retreat two weekends ago and sewed on it the 2-1/2 hours there and back. Then I did some more piecing while at the mechanics on Wednesday last week. It goes in spurts. I love it. No rush.

Till next time!