Saturday, March 8, 2008

MORE Apples?

Above is a quilt top I've had put together for some time. I started quilting it today. Wal-mart had a variegated YLI thread that I used in the cream areas. I used invisible thread in the outer border. I'm going to hand quilt apple seeds in the red side triangles and perhaps on the apples. They are poofing out because around them is somewhat tightly quilted.


Here is a close-up of the apple. I don't like the bright red with "seed" fabric for general use, but it looks neat in the apple blocks. I have often hand- and machine-quilted on the same quilt. I used to think it was weird, but I just saw a famous quilter that does the same thing. I think it was Darlene Zimmerman, but I can't be sure.

This is about 40" square and will live in our foyer. We need a change of pace there.

Good night!

~Joan

3 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

Wow...you're a busy girl! I think I'm going to be thinking of you as "Joanie Appleseed" from now on. You're making me hungry for apple pie, you know. Love the flag--beautiful idea.

SueR said...

Having recently attempted some machine quilting for the first time, I'm impressed with yours. I think Anita Shakelford has a new book out combining hand and machine quilting, but I could be wrong. The apple quilt is really cute too!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Ohhh, that is a great pattern.