Friday, January 31, 2014

{Post 1,319} New Set-Up for Sewing Room/Bedroom




I sort of had a brainstorm tonight concerning my new sewing digs.  I really am trying to make the most of this new space.  

When I moved everything to the garage to start the bedroom renovations downstairs, I was realizing that there was a lot that could "go" that I was moving.  These drawers hold a multitude of things.  I will purge them later.  

I had a little ironing board to my right on my L-shaped sewing table.  Usually the serger goes there.  I hardly ever use the serger.  The ironing board was awkward to use.

When I passed through the laundry room earlier today, I saw my big board ironing board that I made back here.  I was wishing I could use that for ironing.  Then my inspiration struck.  I could move up these four 3-drawer cabinets to use for storage and put the ironing board on them.  But, alas, they were too short.  I remember now that when I used it before, the drawers were on our hearth downstairs, bringing it to the perfect height.  

I had two of the metal mesh crates for hanging files that I was this close (picture my thumb and index fingers a centimeter apart) to giving away.  Voila!  They raise the board to the perfect height as well as serving as a "bookshelf" on top of the drawers.  The boxes in between them need to be purged as well.  All in time, grasshopper. 

Soon I will make a curtain to hide the drawers.  It's too much to look at for me...it looks messy.

My computer was moved over to the right of my sewing machine.  I didn't like the desk it was on anyway.  There was so little storage that it wasn't worth the space it took up.


Some good lighting, and soup is on, baby!!




2 comments:

momtofatdogs said...

I had similar storage containers under my cutting table - I found that I needed something rigid to span the top of the drawers so that there was no weight directly in the middle of the drawer. A board from the basement worked for 5 years. (Then I found a dresser that fits under it.)

It looks great so far!

Sam

Ruth said...

Looking good! I really like your Singer bedside table and the way your ironing board is so close to your sewing machine. I have to walk around my sewing table to get to the ironing board - very inconvenient. But, I do get some extra exercise, which I need.