Monday, February 9, 2009

Can I Have a Bag for This??


If you've been reading this for some time, you know we have 8 children. Having 10 people in a room at one time does pose seating challenges. We've been in this house nearly 3 years. Time to make the upstairs hearth useful (translation: into seating space). I ordered this huge piece of foam to make a cushion for the hearth. It's 4" thick, and that brings it up to a regular chair height. That was my DH's idea.


Rachel and I went to pick up the foam (they had to glue 2 piece together because we wanted a piece 87" long). When we were leaving the store where the foam was purchased, Rachel turned to the clerk and asked, "Can I have a bag for this?" I laughed so hard. There is nothing like a good laugh, is there?



Below is the hearth before cushion. I might add that we have only used the fireplace 2-3 times in 3 years. It's just so warm here all the time. We have not one but TWO seldom-used fireplaces. See what I did to the one downstairs.







And here is my model showing where the foam will be placed. I am going to cover it to look like a couch cushion, but that's where it will live.






I am eager to get that project finished.


~Joan

2 comments:

momtofatdogs said...

THAT, is an excellent idea. I should have done that at the other house. We don'thave a fireplace or a hearth in this house. Honestly? No more than we EVER used it in our house in AL, I don't miss one in TN. that being said. My Prince Charming has a faux fireplace with gas logs in hte plans for the future....

It's going to be beautiful! And your daughter is getting so TALL.

Sam in Middle TN

Ruth said...

What a good idea! Our fireplace looks just like yours almost and we hardly ever use ours either. We live in Texas, so it doesn't get very cold her. I think we used it about 4 times this winter. A bench would come in handy when we have company.