Saturday, March 1, 2008

I Spy "IT"!!

I was sitting at the school table yesterday correcting a math lesson (which is in the center of the sewing room) and said to my oldest daughter (sitting across from me), "There IT is!" You see, the chair I was in faced my overstock/seasonal/flannel fabric bookshelf. I've already shown you my main shelf, but this holds those that don't play nicely with the others. There IT is, on the far right.
Maybe I can sneak over and persuade it to come a little farther out of hiding...


On the far right--that's IT! "it" is my backing fabric for the Mennonite Mosaic quilt. The top is nearly boring with it's almost solid fabrics (none are true solids, but they sure read that way from a little distance). I wanted something for the back that was a little surprise compared to the front. I bought that bolt of Thimbleberries back when it was on clearance. I intended to use it for jumpers for my girls, but only one liked it enough to wear it. It's sort of a periwinkle/light blue/denim-colored background. it has tiny red dots and the little daisies (which are my favorite flower). PERFECT! Now I need to incorporate all my little scraps into the back. 1. to get rid of them 2. to make the backing slightly larger than 2 widths of this fabric.

A plan is in place. Since I finished the top, a "what fabric am I going to use for backing" track has been running through my mind (albeit on the back burner) constantly. On the outside it might look like I'm giving a math lesson or cooking or hand sewing, but I was really in search of that fabric. Now I can play another sound track.

~Joan

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

Glad you found the backing fabric! The quilt looks better with every addition. Looking forward to the quilting next.

Libby said...

How fun to have a little surprise on the back *s*

julieQ said...

Good choice for your backing. I like your bolts!!

Kairle Oaks said...

Great fabric for the backing, Joan. It'll add such charm to your quilt.

Anonymous said...

Cute backing fabric. Nice choice!

Unknown said...

I've got some of that fabric. I love the color. Will be perfect. Now to see how you piece the scraps into it.