Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Design Wall Input


Dear Quilters,

I'd like your input on what you like and don't like about your design wall. We're about to make some major changes in my sewing/school room. The design wall (48" x 60")formerly rested on the elevated fireplace hearth. It's a sheet of insulated foamboard artfully covered by a flannel-back tablecloth which is taped to the back of the board. I want something larger that won't hold the threads as much. I hope to have the whole wall that it's resting against in this picture for a design wall area in the near future. It is on top of a banquet-sized table and leaning against the wall.
The quilt blocks on the design wall now are eventually going to be 9 x 9 blocks. As you can see, I'm a little short on space.
These are my Plan B blocks. The little HSTs are not hard, just tedious. I think I still need enough for 20 blocks (that's 160 HSTs that finish at 1-1/2" square...no problem!).
See my next post for what's happening outside.
~Joan in NC

2 comments:

Marilyn Robertson said...

Your quilt will be beautiful! I wish I had space to put a design wall on. I may have to come up with a portable one some day.

momtofatdogs said...

Joan - I don't have a design wall - but I hope too in the *new* house (that has yet to be found...) Have you considered having your handy husband build a "frame" in sections that you can hinge. Maybe 2 or 3 sections all hinged together. Similar to bi-fold doors or a room divider. Cover it in Warm & Natural batting - staple to the frame. The frame is portable - even though it is as large as you want it to be. Easily folded & put away behind a door - or left out. And the W&N is washable, replaceable (sp?) and certainly user freindly. If you are concerned about the sturdiness of the whole bi-fold idea & nothing being behind the batting on the frome - then staple chicken wire to it before you over it. This is an idea that I have been bouncing around for a couple of weeks since I am hoping to find a house with a huge bonus room or a basement that my long arm & my sewing room will co-exist in.
Sam