Friday, January 25, 2008

String Quilt Update ~ Nearly Half Finished



Here are some pictures from this morning of my antique string quilt. The above picture shows the hand-drawn and stitched Baptist fans on one corner. I started quilting the blocks from the other end of the quilt, so this entire half of blocks is as yet unquilted in case you were wondering.

In my mind I have 4 sections of this quilt...the fan border, the sashing, the blocks, and the binding. Four areas that need completion. The fan border is about 1/4 finished. This picture was taken from light coming in the window to the left. It seems to show the fans well.


Because I've been dragging this quilt all over town, the edges of the batting and backing were getting, well, nasty. So I put the binding on yesterday and trimmed it. I then started hand sewing it down. It's about half finished.




Here (above) you see a close-up of one block. The bright yellow basting thread is still in there. I am quilting 3 large X's in the sashing and one in the cornerstone. Most of the fabrics in this quilt are solids, plaids, and stripes. In spite of the pink used, it has a masculine look to it.


Here the quilt is folded in half and draped over the back of the sofa. All in the picture (except the borders) is quilted. I am very pleased with the progress. I sat in the mechanic's waiting room for more than 3 hours on Monday and in the laundromat on Tuesday, so that *helped*, LOL!

An hour of violin lessons today, so that's another hour of hand quilting! One of the things I like so much about hand quilting on a piece like this is the opportunity to see each and every fabric up close and personal.

Have a great day!

~Joan


2 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

Simply beautiful, Joan. You're really moving quickly. Good for you!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

what a gorgeous quilt.