Saturday, May 29, 2021

{Post 1,753} What Did Today Hold??

 

If you are a loyal reader, you know today was my first day “off”. My husband and his father left for VA this AM right before I got up. I didn’t hear them, but found out later that they left 15 minutes before I woke up. 

I had a few little things on the back burner for a while. So I started with them first. I read somewhere to do the things you don’t want to do first, so I did.

First up was a little thing (they are all little, but took a-l-l day...it’s after midnight as I type this). Do you have things at your house that bother you, but you keep putting them off? Please tell me you do. The clear caulking around my kitchen sink was dirty and small bits of black ick were growing behind the sink where water gets splashed frequently. I removed all the caulking and replaced it with new when-it-dries-it-will-be-clear caulk. It was freshly applied in the picture, so it is white. It’s dry now, and it’s clear.


Next up was painting the paneling on the back of my hutch topper. I have a new color I am incorporating slowly into the kitchen and living room. I was aiming for a color that would pick up on those other accents. The first try was too light, the second (slightly darker) one was too bright. So I went to Lowe’s (only 5 minutes away) and bought a moose mousse color glaze (antiquing glaze). I didn’t like it at first, but it’s growing on my now. Here is a before and after comparison. The first picture is before the glaze was applied.






I had made a snap bag for my pastor’s wife at least 6 years ago. We had lunch together last week, and she pulled it out. I noticed that the measuring tape in the top was wearing through the top of the bag. She said it was because she always has it in her purse. So I came up with a slightly easier pattern (and I am proud to say that I wrote it all down in my bullet journal so I can reproduce it). I decided to make two. There is a friend I have been wanting to make a little something for, and I decided this would be it. I filled them with Hersey Hugs.


But wait—there’s more...if you buy before midnight tonight... Just kidding. Who remembers the Ginsu knife commercials??

Next I wanted to chill out and watch a movie. So I designed a quilting template and hand quilted the borders of this little number while I watched the movie. I see that it needs spritzed with more water. The Mark-B-Gone marker does not B gone.


The first sewing I’m doing tomorrow is getting the binding on this. It seems like I’m dragging it everywhere to work on it. I just want it finished. I will quilt the border on the summer one, too, and bind it. I need to find a place in my house to display them. I have an idea. Here is the summer one. I have my plastic template for marking it, so it won’t take long.


I also ate four meals today. That is a big deal to me. Usually, when I’m home alone, I don’t eat much at all.

Lastly for sewing/quilting, I found some extra blocks from my son’s wedding quilt. He was married this year on April 24. His in-laws have a round table for four (yes, I asked...I can be very clandestine). So I took 4 of the blocks and put this together tonight. I had to make a cream background one, but it only took a few minutes because I had the units in my spare parts drawer. It measures about 26” square. I will quilt it this week. My son and new DIL are coming to our house a week from today and staying overnight. I will have it ready for her to take back.


It has been a seriously busy and productive day. Tomorrow (well, today, since it’s 12:30) we have our every other week extra choir practice after church, but I do plan to sew after I get home. Since I got so much accomplished today, I decided I better post about it before I forgot what happened (LOL).






 













4 comments:

Teresa said...

Fun reading your blog today and nice that you had a day to yourself to get things done. I love that little snap bag and want to try and make one. I need to find some of those snap closures.

Teresa said...

When you use a snap closure, is this the same thing as a snap bracelet? I can find those but I wonder if they are too short to use. I cannot find anything that says it is a snap closure for a bag.

Unknown said...

I do admire your energy level. Happy sewing.

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Beautiful job on the furniture. The blue does help enhance the look of everything you put there. Love the crockery too. Great quilt collection too - I like the snowman especially.