Sunday, September 29, 2019

{Post 1,689} Table Top Is Nearly Ready!!


Last night and today I worked on staining and sealing the finished console table top. Here are some pictures that I hope end up in order. First is the original table:


Here is the top as I started applying the stain:


In my limited experience, staining is a crap shoot. Every type of wood receives stain differently. This one (although it looks even and sweet in the above picture) did not take the stain evenly. You will see what I mean in the next picture. There were a couple spots that for no reason, did not accept the stain.


This would not have been a problem since it will probably always have a runner of some kind, but it was right near the front edge of the table.

Here is the after. I ended up using acrylic, cheap, craft paint of a matching hue. It was still touch and go, but it looked much better.


And here it is after four coats of Polycrylic. I am going to bring it upstairs so I can decorate it tomorrow. So excited to put some pumpkins on there!!









1 comment:

Maggie Ann said...

Your stain job looks great! Your hard work paid off. That was clever to think of the craft paint on those spots that didn't take the stain. Looking forward to seeing it decorated for fall now. =)