Wednesday, March 20, 2019

{Post 1,639} Confession is Good for the Soul


Well, I debated about sharing this. And share it I must. I have been quilting for 26 years, and I just made a major faux pas. A blunder. A no no. A huge mistake. A blaring oversight. What is it, you wonder?

I made the blocks for my Moth in the Window quilt w/o checking the final block size before adding the sashing and cornerstones. I RARELY have sizing issues. What I mean is, when I sew a seam, the unit is nearly perfect.

It wasn’t until I measured for the top inner border of this that I realized my error. After a one-piece inner border, the outer border is made of 2” finished HSTs. They must fit. There is no fudging.

Now I faced a fork in the road. Do I keep going as is, or take all the sashing and cornerstones off, trim down the blocks, and keep going? I decided a little of both. I saved a section of 16 blocks (4 x 4) for a baby quilt down the road and dissembled the rest. Then I realized another problem that will probably only be apparent to me. When I added the sashing strips, the little black square on the end no longer butted seams with the pieced moth block. Each finished block was about 1/4” too big all around. So I cut off more of the little (former) 1-1/2” squares than I did the rest of the quilt. Here is a picture to show what is happening. In a perfect world, the little black square’s seam and the seam of the square in the corner of the block would nest. Now also notice how much smaller the corner square is than its brother one square diagonally away. My hope is that once it’s finished and on the bed over a very sleepy person, that those little details will go unnoticed.



Here is a shot of the few I have re-pieced last night. I am OK with this.  Not happy about it,. But OK with it. 



2 comments:

grammilou said...

If you didn't tell us we wouldn't know. I can relate to your problem with it, though. When it's a quilt that you make, you see any problems. Someone else looks at it as a whole and doesn't even notice a little detail like that. The quilt is fine!

Marsha B said...

Sorry to hear you have the extra work but it still looks good to me!