Friday, June 1, 2012

{Post #981} Baby Quilt Nearly Finished

I had started this baby quilt just a short time ago.  Today I machine quilted it and sewed the binding to the front by machine.  I ran out of the pink plaid I was using for outer border and binding.  I did not want to make a trip to the store in hopes of finding another 1/4 yard.  So I did something I never have done before.  Look:






I was about 30" short of fabric.  I cut the strips 2-1/2" wide for the binding.  I had a 30" strip of 2" wide.  I cut a scrap of fabric I had from Susie's graduation quilt 3/4" wide and added it to the side.  When I turn and sew it by hand, no one will be the wiser.  I guess I could have found something that matched better, but it will be on the inside.


Some of the blocks had very tiny seams and were threatening to rip out, so I meander quilted the center.  I did large loopy daisies in the border.  Seems perfect for a baby girl, due on my birthday!


Hand sewing in order tonight!


~Joan

3 comments:

Me and My Stitches said...

Good thinking!! Love that pink and green.

Leeanne said...

What a fabulous idea Joan. I like what you did. You must be a June baby like me?

Ruth said...

Sometimes we do what we gotta do! The quilt looks cute and I'm sure it will be perfect for the baby!