Sunday, May 20, 2012

{Post #975} High Point, NC Quilt Show

My 14-year-old daughter, Rachel, and I went to a quilt show in High Point, NC yesterday.  I am not going to comment on the pictures much.  It was about 2-1/2 hours from our house.  We had such a good time.  


I bought a book that had patterns for using the Twister ruler. I have had both sizes of the rulers for some time but no special patterns for which to use them.


So, without much more ado, here are some pictures.  Most of the quilts were elaborately machine quilted and the fabrics all matched.  My own quilts are simply quilted and mostly scrappy.  But there were many I enjoyed seeing.


Rachel enjoyed balancing birds and being Lady Liberty:




These were two of my favorites.  Scrappy and small pieces.  The postage stamp quilt had 11,000 pieces.  Rachel found a duplicate.





Here were some with magnificent quilting.  One hardly noticed the colors or pattern...the quilting was so attention-getting!









I have one of these Granny Squares quilts in progress.  It will be years before it's finished, but isn't this neat?


This Lone Star was hand quilted beautifully:








Besides the book, I bought a bag of selvages at their "yard sale" for 10 cents.  I threw half of it away because it was unusable to me but still have a hefty amount...especially for 10 cents!

One other fundraiser that they had which I thought was a neat idea is this:  they had at least 20 baskets made up with a variety of things in each one.  Some had rulers or spools of hand or machine quilting thread.  All had fabric collections.  Some had a pattern tucked in.  Some were all one line of fabric or one style (novelty, 30's, patriotic, etc.) or one color (I put all mine in for a basket of neutrals).  There was a letter to label the basket and a matching deli-type plastic container with a slit in the top beside it with the same letter.  One could purchase tickets for $1 each (or 6 for $5) to put in the container to be drawn at the close of the show Sunday.  Since it was a fundraiser, I got 6 tickets and gave Rachel three.

We took our time getting home, stopping for a delicious lunch, a stop at Ikea, and one undisclosed stop.

Hope you enjoyed my little tour.

~Joan




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures you posted. One major reason (other than the fact that they are gorgeous) is that many of the quilts are within my skill level. I ogle so many quilts that I don't think I have the skill to do, but these are within my reach! I think I am with you on my two fave quilts!

Beckyjean said...

Beautiful quilts!! Thanks for sharing.

Have a wonderful week~Becky