Friday, October 3, 2008

September Daily Spending


September was my best month yet for saving $ on daily spending. If you're just starting to read my blog, here's a quick recap. We have 10 people living in our home. My WH and I, along with our 8 children. We home school, and my WH works from home, so on most days, we are all eating here. There is the occasional exception. One of my children works during lunch every day, and another will occasionally miss lunch or supper. The daily spending includes an average for the month for food, personal toiletries, all cleaning supplies, and medicines.

My first month of serious couponing was April of this year. I didn't figure that month's expenses because I was learning the whole coupon thing. Our May average was $5.40 per person per day (PPPD). I thought THAT was tremendous. June's average was down to $3.20 PPPD...big drop! July was up to $4.53 PPPD. August was $3.92. September was $2.37 PPPD, our best month yet.

This is an ongoing adventure and challenge to me. I don't want to be obsessive about it, which would be easy for me to do. One of the Bible verses I memorized recently is Psalm 19:14, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD my strength and my redeemer." I can't let saving money direct all of my thoughts. But I do think there is a time and place for it.

I'm very grateful that my family supports this endeavor. Everyone pitches in...some shop, some clip Qs, some file them, some organize pantries, some merely consume what we bring home, LOL!

~Joan

No comments: