Thursday, June 20, 2019

{Post 1,670} Catching Up On Life


I know it’s been a while since I’ve blogged when I have to look at the pictures of the last post and see what’s happened since then. We’ve been busy with grandchildren, vacation Bible school (we always teach a class), and a little makeover. I inherited a one-gallon glass butter churn and wanted a nice place to display it.

I have had an antique sideboard for years that belonged to my grandparents. It has a matching china cabinet. I have toyed with the idea of painting them. I never did because they are antiques, and if I didn’t like them, I could not unpaint them. I was gobsmacked and smitten with this picture I saw on Pinterest:


As in, I L-O-V-E-D everything about it...the gray color, the blue accents, the baskets...
...if only I could just wave a magic wand and have it in my house. I don’t know what the jar of green things is on top. I could live without that.

Anywho—fast forward. One of my friends had a yard sale. I did not know about it until I saw some pics on Facebook that she was using to advertise the sale. She lives about 15 minutes from me. One of her pics was of a matching desk and hutch. They were separate in the picture. I had the idea of putting her hutch on top of my sideboard. So I texted for measurements. It looked tiny. I flew right over there and bought it after making sure the wood color matched mine. It fits my sideboard perfectly. I lived with it just sitting on top for a while.


It was nice, but then I would go back and pine over the Pinterest picture again. To paint or not to paint??

Then I had what *I* thought was a brilliant plan. The bottom part of the hutch had an interesting and somewhat charming cutout on both ends. Could I persuade my husband to cut the hutch off right above the bottom shelf? Would it look stupid? Maybe! Then I thought of adding the top piece of curved wood to the back of the shelf to add a charming detail. 

So he cut and screwed and stapled. Then I took over staining and decorating. Here is our finished product. I am sure the decorations will change from time to time.


Here is the process from plain sideboard to what we have now.

4 comments:

Marsha B said...

That looks great! What fun to re-invent the hutch to make a fantastic new look!

Lilac Joan said...

You made a great improvement! Love it.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a great new look. While it is good to save antiques, you do have to make them functional for you.

Ruth said...

I love it! BTW, you can take paint off with paint stripper. I have done it. You would then have to re-stain it.