Friday, July 29, 2011

Everything. Takes. So. Long. To. Do.


People are always telling me they are amazed at how much I get done.  I don't think I get that much done, so those comments always amaze me. 

Guess what I've been doing today?  The top picture shows a section of paneling in our MPR (multi-purpose room) that replaced two bi-fold doors.  My husband walled in the room and cut a new door on adjacent wall of the room.  Shortly after the paneling was installed, I painted the room a lovely green...sort of light grayish green.  I.  love.  it.  Shortly thereafter, strips of paint started peeling off the paneling.  I had not sanded it to rough up the surface.  Well, I put it off for years, but the process had to be done!  Isaac and Rachel scraped off the old paint, Ben sanded it, and I primed and painted it.  The priming and painting were done this AM.  The paneling has those little grooves in it, so I brushed those, then rolled the rest of the wall.  It is nearly dry and looks m-a-r-v-e-l-o-u-s.  I started at 6AM.

My next project is to repaint 3 of my wall cabinet doors and the cabinet face behind it.  The problem with that?  The paint I used 5 years ago is no longer being made, and the color is no longer available.  Well, I went to Lowe's and had it color matched.  I am about to start priming the doors (wish I had taken a before picture...the difference between the old and new will, no doubt, be astounding).  The paint had been wearing off from around the hardware. 

There is one other door front that I will be painting.  Originally we had a "concealed" trash can.  The whole drawer pulled out.  There were several reasons I did not like it.  When I was cooking, my hands were usually dirty.  Hence, pulling out the drawer than opening the trash can nearly always transferred what was on my hands to the drawer pull and then the trash can lid.  The drawer also collected trash and spills inside (eeewwwwwww).  Wes had the pull-out drawer converted to a regular cabinet door and put shelves in.  Now it houses my crockpots.  At least six of them!

Off to prime those doors!  Wish me luck!

~Joan, the overambitious

No comments: